Monday, September 17, 2007

I doubt this blog will be reguarly updated.

Just thought I wanted a space to talk about antifeminist hypocrisy, dubious antifeminist statistics and other general silliness.
I just seem to see examples of it all the time. Antifeminists complaining that feminists allow women to deny personal responsibility, whilst excusing men of their own personal responsibility. Antifeminist 'facts' that don't seem particularly factual. Antifeminist mistruths and antifeminist sillyness.
It's everywhere!

Fact1: This blog _will_ get snarky. I imagine there will be lots of bitter irony, and I'm talking the kind of irony you see defined in the dictionary* not the typical 'saying something offensive and calling it irony so I can get away with it' trope you've likely seen about.

Fact2: The obligatory 'I-don't-hate-men' statement. (Well. I don't.) I wouldn't dislike MRAs (Male Rights Activists/Advocates) if all they did was do positive things like lobby for better funding of mens health facilities and whatnot, but since most of them (or at least the visible ones) seem to express antiwoman/antifeminist/antisense statements unfortunately I do dislike them. Rather a lot.
For that matter: if there's anyone out there lobbying for mens issues who doesn't dislike/disagree with/rabidly hate feminism let me know 'cause, I just ain't seeing it.

Fact3: This blog will be moderated. OHNOES I'M A CENSORING DICTATOR! (I told you there'd be irony, didn't I? Blog moderation =/= censorship.)

That all said. If you'd like to talk about any experiences of antifeminist sillyness (and there's a lot of it out there) please tell me all about it in the comments.



*Just for reference:

bit·ter
Resentful or cynical: bitter words.

i·ro·ny

The use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that example of irony is actually sarcasm.
Irony is an incongruity between expected results and actual results. Like how whenever I read anti-feminist arguments, it makes me more convinced that I'm right to be a feminist.
Socratic irony is to reveal the logical holes in someone's argument by feigning ignorance and asking them to explain their positions.

I like your blog, btw.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was looking for some ammo to sling at the usual suspects infesting Yahoo Answers' Gender And Women's Studies Section and came to your blog.

Great stuff-- probably. I wonder if you'd consider changing the screen colours? The white on black is very hard on the eyes, especially for long blocks of text, and I'm afraid that if I direct anyone here because she's been getting attacked (or, worse, misled) by the antis on Y!A she'll give up on reading it just for that reason.

Appreciate the blog being here. I don't mind how often you update as every sane thing that's out there helps.

Cellycel said...

Sure thing, I can do that for you. Last time I updated here was at least a few months to a year ago though.

Ehh, if it helps someone.